Xiaomi has gained immense popularity in the smartphone market for its impressive features and affordable prices. The Xiaomi Mi 5c is one such device that offers a perfect blend of performance and affordability. While the device comes with a range of features, some users may want to explore the full potential of their Xiaomi Mi 5c by rooting it. Rooting allows users to gain complete control over their device, enabling them to customize the operating system, install custom ROMs, and enjoy a plethora of other benefits.
Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 5c, however, is not a process to be taken lightly. It requires careful attention to detail and a thorough understanding of the steps involved. In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to root your Xiaomi Mi 5c successfully.
- 1 Before Rooting: Backup Your Data
- 2 Unlocking the Bootloader
- 3 Installing TWRP Recovery
- 4 Rooting Xiaomi Mi 5c
- 5 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 Related video of How to Root Xiaomi Mi 5c: A Comprehensive Guide
Before Rooting: Backup Your Data
Before you embark on the rooting process, it is crucial to back up all your important data. Rooting your device involves making changes to the system files, which can potentially lead to data loss. By creating a backup, you can ensure that your valuable data is safe and can be restored if anything goes wrong during the rooting process.
To back up your data, follow these steps:
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi 5c to a computer using a USB cable.
- Enable USB debugging on your device by going to “Settings” > “About Phone” > “MIUI Version”. Tap on the MIUI Version seven times to enable Developer Options.
- Go back to the main “Settings” menu and select “Additional Settings” > “Developer Options”. Enable “USB Debugging” from here.
- Once USB debugging is enabled, open the File Explorer on your computer and navigate to your device’s internal storage.
- Copy all the files and folders from your device’s internal storage to a folder on your computer. This will create a backup of your data.
Unlocking the Bootloader
The first step to root your Xiaomi Mi 5c is to unlock the bootloader. The bootloader is a program that runs when your device starts up, and it determines what software can be run on your phone. By default, Xiaomi devices come with a locked bootloader to ensure the security and integrity of the operating system. Unlocking the bootloader is a necessary step to gain root access.
Follow these steps to unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi 5c:
- Go to the official Xiaomi website (https://www.mi.com/) and create an account if you don’t have one already.
- Log in to your Xiaomi account.
- Visit the Xiaomi unlocking page (https://en.miui.com/unlock/) and click on “Unlock Now”.
- Read the disclaimer and click on “Unlock Now” again.
- Fill in the required information, including your name, phone number, and the reason for unlocking your device.
- After submitting the application, you will receive an OTP (One-Time Password) on your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP to proceed.
- Wait for the approval process, which may take a few days. Once your application is approved, you will receive an unlock code via SMS.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from the official Xiaomi website (https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html) and install it.
- Open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with your Xiaomi account.
- Power off your Xiaomi Mi 5c and boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously.
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- In the Mi Unlock Tool, click on “Unlock” to start the unlocking process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the process to complete. Your Xiaomi Mi 5c will reboot automatically once the bootloader is unlocked.
Installing TWRP Recovery
After unlocking the bootloader, the next step is to install TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 5c. TWRP is a custom recovery that allows you to install custom ROMs, create backups, and perform various other system-related tasks.
Follow these steps to install TWRP recovery:
- Download the TWRP recovery image for Xiaomi Mi 5c from the official TWRP website (https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimi5c.html) and save it on your computer.
- Download and install the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging on your Xiaomi Mi 5c by going to “Settings” > “About Phone” > “MIUI Version”. Tap on the MIUI Version seven times to enable Developer Options, and then enable “USB Debugging” from the “Developer Options” menu.
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi 5c to the computer using a USB cable.
- Open the command prompt on your computer and navigate to the folder where you saved the TWRP recovery image.
- Enter the following command in the command prompt to boot your Xiaomi Mi 5c into Fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device is in Fastboot mode, enter the following command to flash the TWRP recovery image:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
- Once the flashing is done, enter the following command to reboot your Xiaomi Mi 5c:
Your Xiaomi Mi 5c will now boot into TWRP recovery.
Rooting Xiaomi Mi 5c
Now that you have installed TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 5c, you are ready to root your device. Follow these steps:
- Download the latest version of the Magisk zip file from the official Magisk GitHub repository (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases) and save it on your device’s internal storage.
- Boot your Xiaomi Mi 5c into TWRP recovery mode by powering off your device and pressing and holding the Power button and Volume Up button simultaneously.
- In TWRP recovery, tap on “Install”.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the Magisk zip file and select it.
- Swipe the slider to confirm the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, tap on “Reboot System”.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your Xiaomi Mi 5c. You now have full control over your device and can enjoy the benefits of rooting.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Is rooting my Xiaomi Mi 5c safe?
Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 5c involves certain risks, such as voiding the warranty and potentially bricking your device if not done correctly. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and understand the risks involved before proceeding with the rooting process.
2. Will rooting my Xiaomi Mi 5c affect system updates?
Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 5c may prevent you from receiving official system updates. However, there are custom ROMs available that provide the latest Android updates and features.
3. Can I unroot my Xiaomi Mi 5c?
Yes, you can unroot your Xiaomi Mi 5c by flashing the stock firmware. This will restore your device to its original state and reinstate the warranty.
4. Will rooting my Xiaomi Mi 5c improve its performance?
Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 5c gives you the freedom to optimize and customize your device, which can potentially improve its performance. However, it also depends on how you utilize the root access and the modifications you make.
5. Are there any alternative methods to root my Xiaomi Mi 5c?
Yes, there are alternative methods available to root your Xiaomi Mi 5c, such as using one-click root apps or custom recovery tools. However, the method described in this article is the most reliable and recommended for rooting your device.
Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 5c can unlock a world of possibilities and allow you to truly customize your device. While the process may seem daunting at first, following the steps outlined in this guide will help you successfully root your Xiaomi Mi 5c. Remember to back up your data before proceeding, unlock the bootloader, install TWRP recovery, and finally, root your device using Magisk. By rooting your Xiaomi Mi 5c, you can take full control of your device, install custom ROMs, and enjoy a personalized Android experience.
Unlock the true potential of your Xiaomi Mi 5c today and embrace a whole new level of smartphone customization!