Rooting your Xiaomi 12T smartphone can unlock a world of possibilities and customization options. By gaining root access to your device’s operating system, you can remove bloatware, install custom ROMs, access advanced settings, and enjoy a range of powerful apps that require root privileges. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of rooting your Xiaomi 12T, step by step. But before we dive into the procedure, let us understand what rooting means and the benefits it offers.
- 1 Understanding Rooting and its Benefits
- 2 Before You Begin: Important Precautions
- 3 Step-by-Step Guide to Root Xiaomi 12T
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 5 Summary
- 6 FAQs After The Conclusion
- 6.1 FAQ 1: Can I root my Xiaomi 12T without a computer?
- 6.2 FAQ 2: Will rooting my Xiaomi 12T unlock additional features?
- 6.3 FAQ 3: Can rooting my Xiaomi 12T damage the device?
- 6.4 FAQ 4: Will rooting my Xiaomi 12T remove all my data?
- 6.5 FAQ 5: Can I still receive OTA (Over-The-Air) updates after rooting?
- 7 Related video of How to Root Xiaomi 12T: A Comprehensive Guide
Understanding Rooting and its Benefits
Rooting is the process of obtaining administrative privileges or “root access” on an Android device. By default, Android devices come with limited access to system files and settings to ensure stability and security. However, rooting your Xiaomi 12T can provide you with complete control over your device, allowing you to make changes and modifications at a deeper level.
Here are some of the key benefits of rooting your Xiaomi 12T:
- Customization: Rooting your device unlocks the ability to install custom ROMs, which are modified versions of the Android operating system. These custom ROMs offer a plethora of customization options, allowing you to personalize your Xiaomi 12T to suit your preferences.
- Performance Optimization: With root access, you can use performance optimization tools to tweak various settings, such as CPU frequency, kernel settings, and system processes. This can result in improved performance and smoother overall user experience.
- Ad-Blocking: Rooting your Xiaomi 12T enables you to install ad-blocking applications that can eliminate intrusive advertisements from apps and websites, enhancing your browsing and app usage experience.
- App Backup and Restoration: Rooting allows you to use advanced backup and restoration tools that can safeguard your apps and data. These tools enable you to take complete backups of your apps and data, ensuring you never lose your valuable information.
- Removal of Bloatware: Bloatware refers to pre-installed apps that come bundled with your Xiaomi 12T. Rooting your device grants you the power to uninstall or disable these unwanted apps, freeing up precious system resources and storage space.
Before You Begin: Important Precautions
Before you proceed with the rooting process, it is crucial to understand that rooting your Xiaomi 12T involves certain risks and can void your device’s warranty. Therefore, it is recommended to take the following precautions:
- Backup Your Data: Rooting may result in data loss or unforeseen issues. Hence, it is essential to create a complete backup of your important data, including contacts, photos, videos, and documents. You can use various backup apps available on the Google Play Store or manually transfer your files to an external storage device.
- Charge Your Device: Ensure that your Xiaomi 12T is adequately charged before initiating the rooting process. A fully charged battery will prevent any interruptions or potential damage during the procedure.
- Research and Verify: It is crucial to research and verify the rooting method specific to your Xiaomi 12T model. Different Xiaomi 12T variants may require different rooting procedures. Ensure that you are using the correct method and tools to avoid any complications.
- Unlock Bootloader: To root your Xiaomi 12T, you need to unlock its bootloader. This step is essential but can vary depending on your device model. Consult the official Xiaomi website or reliable online resources to understand the bootloader unlocking process for your specific model.
Step-by-Step Guide to Root Xiaomi 12T
Now that you have understood the benefits of rooting and taken the necessary precautions, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of rooting your Xiaomi 12T:
Step 1: Enable Developer Options
To begin, you need to enable the Developer Options on your Xiaomi 12T. Follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on “About phone”.
- Locate the “MIUI version” or “Build number” and tap on it seven times. You will see a message indicating that you are now a developer.
- Go back to the main Settings menu, and you will find the “Developer options” listed.
- Tap on “Developer options” and enable the toggle switch at the top of the screen.
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging
USB debugging allows your Xiaomi 12T to communicate with your computer during the rooting process. Here’s how you can enable it:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap on “Developer options”.
- Scroll down and locate “USB debugging”.
- Enable the toggle switch next to “USB debugging”.
- When prompted, confirm your action by tapping “OK”.
Step 3: Download and Install ADB and Fastboot Tools
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and Fastboot are essential tools for rooting your Xiaomi 12T. Follow these instructions to download and install them on your computer:
- Visit the official Android Developers website (https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools) and download the platform-tools package for your operating system.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file to a convenient location on your computer.
- Open the extracted folder, and you will find the ADB and Fastboot executables.
- Copy the entire folder path of the extracted files, as you will need it in the next steps.
Step 4: Unlock the Bootloader
Before you can root your Xiaomi 12T, you need to unlock its bootloader. Follow these steps to unlock the bootloader:
- Visit the official Xiaomi website (https://en.miui.com/unlock/) and download the Mi Unlock Tool.
- Launch the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with your Mi Account. If you don’t have an account, create one.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to put your Xiaomi 12T into Fastboot mode. Typically, this involves turning off your device and then holding the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously.
- Connect your Xiaomi 12T to your computer using a USB cable.
- Once your device is detected by the Mi Unlock Tool, click on the “Unlock Now” button.
- Wait for the unlocking process to complete. This may take a few minutes, and your device will restart automatically when done.
Step 5: Download and Install Custom Recovery
Custom recovery software, such as TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project), is essential for flashing the root files onto your Xiaomi 12T. Follow these steps to download and install TWRP:
- Visit the official TWRP website (https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomi12.html) and search for your Xiaomi 12T model.
- Download the TWRP image file (.img) specific to your device.
- Copy the downloaded TWRP image file to the folder where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot tools (Step 3).
- Open a command prompt or terminal window on your computer.
- Navigate to the folder where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot tools using the “cd” command. For example, if the folder path is “C:\platform-tools”, use the command:
- Enter the following command to boot your Xiaomi 12T into Fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device is in Fastboot mode, enter the following command to flash TWRP recovery:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img(Replace “twrp.img” with the actual name of the TWRP image file you downloaded)
- Wait for the flashing process to complete. Once finished, enter the command:
fastboot rebootto restart your Xiaomi 12T.
Step 6: Root Xiaomi 12T
Now that you have installed TWRP recovery, you can proceed to root your Xiaomi 12T using the following steps:
- Download the latest version of Magisk (https://magiskmanager.com/) or any other root package of your choice to your Xiaomi 12T.
- Power off your device.
- Boot your Xiaomi 12T into recovery mode by holding the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously until the TWRP recovery screen appears.
- On the TWRP main screen, tap on “Install”.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the Magisk or root package file.
- Select the root package file and swipe the “Swipe to confirm flash” button to start the flashing process.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete. Once finished, tap on “Reboot System”.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your Xiaomi 12T. You now have full control over your device, allowing you to explore its true potential.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
FAQ 1: Does rooting void the warranty of my Xiaomi 12T?
Yes, rooting your Xiaomi 12T typically voids its warranty. However, you can unroot your device and restore the original firmware to reinstate the warranty.
FAQ 2: Can I unroot my Xiaomi 12T after rooting?
Yes, you can unroot your Xiaomi 12T by using the “Uninstall” option in the Magisk Manager app or by flashing the stock firmware through TWRP recovery. Unrooting your device will remove root access and reinstate the original system files.
FAQ 3: Will rooting my Xiaomi 12T improve its performance?
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T can potentially improve its performance by allowing you to optimize various settings and remove bloatware. However, improper modifications or misuse of root privileges can lead to performance issues or instability.
FAQ 4: Is rooting my Xiaomi 12T safe?
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T involves certain risks, such as data loss, bricking, or security vulnerabilities. It is essential to follow the rooting process carefully and ensure that you are using trusted tools and resources to minimize these risks.
FAQ 5: Can I update the system software after rooting?
Yes, you can update the system software on your rooted Xiaomi 12T. However, it is important to note that system updates may remove root access and modifications made to the system files. You may need to re-root your device after updating the software.
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T can unlock a world of customization and optimization possibilities. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can safely and successfully root your device. Remember to take the necessary precautions, such as backing up your data and understanding the risks involved. With root access, you can personalize your Xiaomi 12T, enhance its performance, and explore advanced features that were previously inaccessible.
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T is an advanced process that requires technical knowledge and careful execution. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the rooting process, it is recommended to seek assistance from experienced users or professional services to avoid any complications.
FAQs After The Conclusion
FAQ 1: Can I root my Xiaomi 12T without a computer?
Yes, you can root your Xiaomi 12T without a computer by using one-click root apps such as KingoRoot or Framaroot. However, these methods may not work for all devices and can be less reliable compared to rooting with a computer.
FAQ 2: Will rooting my Xiaomi 12T unlock additional features?
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T itself does not unlock additional features. However, it provides you with the freedom to install custom ROMs, modify system files, and use root-requiring apps that can unlock additional features and functionalities.
FAQ 3: Can rooting my Xiaomi 12T damage the device?
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T can potentially damage the device if not done correctly. It is crucial to follow the rooting process carefully and ensure that you are using the correct tools and resources. Improper rooting can result in bricking, data loss, or other irreversible issues.
FAQ 4: Will rooting my Xiaomi 12T remove all my data?
Rooting itself does not remove your data. However, there is always a risk of data loss during the rooting process. It is essential to create a backup of your data before rooting your Xiaomi 12T to avoid any potential loss.
FAQ 5: Can I still receive OTA (Over-The-Air) updates after rooting?
Rooting your Xiaomi 12T may prevent you from receiving OTA updates. System updates typically require the device to be unrooted and running the stock firmware. However, you can manually install updates or flash custom ROMs to stay up to date with the latest software versions.