Rooting an Android device allows users to gain privileged control, often referred to as “root access,” over various aspects of the operating system. For tech-savvy individuals, rooting can be a way to unlock the full potential of their device, enabling them to customize and optimize it according to their preferences.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of rooting the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro, two flagship smartphones from OnePlus. We will cover the benefits and risks of rooting, the necessary preparations, and the step-by-step instructions to safely root your device. So, if you’re ready to explore the world of root access, let’s dive in!
- 1 The Benefits of Rooting OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
- 2 The Risks of Rooting OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
- 3 Preparations for Rooting
- 4 Step-by-Step Guide to Root OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 6.1 1. Does rooting void the warranty of OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro?
- 6.2 2. Can I unroot my OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro after rooting?
- 6.3 3. Will rooting my OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro erase all my data?
- 6.4 4. Can I still receive OTA (Over-The-Air) updates after rooting?
- 6.5 5. Are there any alternative methods to root OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro?
- 7 Summary
- 8 Related video of How to Root OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
The Benefits of Rooting OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
Rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro offers several advantages that can enhance your overall Android experience. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Customization: Root access allows you to modify the appearance and behavior of your device by installing custom ROMs, themes, and mods. You can truly make your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro reflect your personal style and preferences.
- Performance Optimization: With root access, you can take advantage of various optimization techniques, such as removing bloatware, tweaking CPU settings, and using performance-boosting apps. This can result in improved speed, battery life, and overall device performance.
- Advanced App Management: Rooting enables you to use advanced app management tools that require root access. You can backup and restore apps, freeze or uninstall system apps, and even run specialized apps that require root permissions.
- System-Level Access: Rooting grants you access to the system files and directories of your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. This allows you to perform system-level modifications, troubleshoot issues, and dive deeper into the inner workings of your device.
The Risks of Rooting OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
While rooting can be an exciting endeavor, it is important to understand the potential risks involved. Here are some risks associated with rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro:
- Voiding Warranty: Rooting typically voids the warranty provided by the manufacturer. This means that if any hardware or software issues arise after rooting, you may have to bear the costs of repairs.
- Bricking: If not done correctly, the rooting process can result in a “bricked” device, rendering it unusable and difficult to recover. It is crucial to follow the instructions carefully and proceed with caution.
- Security Vulnerabilities: Rooting exposes your device to potential security risks. With root access, malicious apps or hackers may gain deeper access to your system, potentially compromising your personal data and privacy.
- Software Instability: Modifying system files and installing custom ROMs can sometimes lead to software instability or compatibility issues. This may result in crashes, freezes, or other unexpected behavior.
Preparations for Rooting
Before you begin the rooting process, it is essential to make the necessary preparations. Follow these steps to ensure a smooth and safe rooting experience:
- Backup Your Data: Rooting involves making system-level changes, which can potentially lead to data loss. Therefore, it is crucial to back up all your important data, including contacts, photos, videos, and documents. You can use built-in backup features or third-party apps to perform the backup.
- Charge Your Device: Ensure that your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro has sufficient battery level before starting the rooting process. A fully charged device will prevent any unexpected shutdowns during the procedure, which could cause complications.
- Enable USB Debugging: To communicate with your device during rooting, you need to enable USB debugging. Navigate to the “Developer options” in your device settings and toggle on the “USB debugging” option.
- Unlock Bootloader: Before rooting, you must unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to install custom recoveries and flash custom ROMs. However, note that unlocking the bootloader will wipe all data on your device, so ensure that you have backed up everything beforehand.
Step-by-Step Guide to Root OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
Now that you have made the necessary preparations, let’s dive into the step-by-step process to root your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. Please note that rooting your device may void its warranty, and you proceed at your own risk. Follow these instructions carefully:
Step 1: Download Required Files
The first step is to download the necessary files for rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. You will need the following:
- ADB and Fastboot Tools
- TWRP Custom Recovery
- Magisk ZIP File
Ensure that you download the correct files corresponding to your specific OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro model and the Android version it is running.
Step 2: Install ADB and Fastboot Tools
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and Fastboot are essential tools for interacting with your device during the rooting process. Follow these steps to install them:
- Download the ADB and Fastboot Tools package on your computer.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP file to a folder on your computer.
- Add the folder path to the system’s PATH environment variable. This will allow you to run ADB and Fastboot commands from any location in the command prompt or terminal.
- Open a command prompt or terminal window on your computer.
- Connect your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro to your computer using a USB cable.
- In the command prompt or terminal, enter the command “
adb devices” to check if your device is recognized. You should see a device ID along with the “device” status.
Step 3: Boot into Fastboot Mode
Before flashing the custom recovery, you need to boot your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro into Fastboot mode. Follow these steps:
- Power off your device completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously until the OnePlus logo appears.
- Release the Power button but continue holding the Volume Up button until you see the Fastboot Mode screen.
Step 4: Flash TWRP Custom Recovery
TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) is a popular custom recovery that allows you to install custom ROMs and root your device. Follow these steps to flash TWRP on your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro:
- Open a command prompt or terminal window on your computer.
- Navigate to the folder where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot Tools.
- Copy the downloaded TWRP image file to the same folder.
- Enter the command “
fastboot devices” to ensure that your device is still recognized in Fastboot mode.
- Enter the command “
fastboot flash recovery <twrp-image-file-name.img>” to flash TWRP on your device. Replace “<twrp-image-file-name.img>” with the actual file name of the TWRP image you downloaded.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
- Once the flashing is done, enter the command “
fastboot reboot” to reboot your device.
Step 5: Boot into TWRP Recovery
After flashing TWRP, you need to boot your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro into TWRP recovery to install Magisk and root your device. Follow these steps:
- Power off your device completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously until the OnePlus logo appears.
- Release both buttons and wait for a few seconds.
- Tap on the “Recovery” option using the Volume Down button, then press the Power button to confirm.
Step 6: Install Magisk and Root
Magisk is a popular tool used for rooting Android devices. Follow these steps to install Magisk and root your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro:
- In the TWRP main menu, tap on the “Install” button.
- Navigate to the folder where you copied the Magisk ZIP file.
- Select the Magisk ZIP file and swipe the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” button to install Magisk.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Once the installation is finished, tap on the “Reboot System” button.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro using TWRP and Magisk. Your device now has root access, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of customization and performance optimization.
Rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro can unlock a world of possibilities, enabling you to customize, optimize, and explore the full potential of your device. However, it is essential to understand the benefits and risks associated with rooting, as well as make the necessary preparations and follow the instructions carefully.
In this article, we provided you with a step-by-step guide to root your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. We explored the benefits of rooting, such as customization, performance optimization, advanced app management, and system-level access. We also highlighted the risks, including voiding warranty, bricking, security vulnerabilities, and software instability.
Remember to always proceed with caution, as rooting involves making system-level changes that can potentially lead to irreversible consequences. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is best to seek assistance from experienced users or professional technicians.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Does rooting void the warranty of OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro?
Yes, rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro typically voids the warranty provided by the manufacturer. Any hardware or software issues that arise after rooting may no longer be covered under warranty.
2. Can I unroot my OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro after rooting?
Yes, you can unroot your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro by using the “Uninstall” option in the Magisk app. This will remove the root access and restore your device to its original state. However, keep in mind that unrooting does not reinstate the warranty.
3. Will rooting my OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro erase all my data?
Unlocking the bootloader and flashing custom recovery will wipe all data on your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. Therefore, it is crucial to back up all your important data before proceeding with the rooting process.
4. Can I still receive OTA (Over-The-Air) updates after rooting?
Rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro may prevent you from receiving OTA updates. However, you can manually install the updates by downloading the latest firmware from the official OnePlus website and flashing it using TWRP recovery.
5. Are there any alternative methods to root OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro?
While TWRP and Magisk are popular methods for rooting OnePlus devices, there may be alternative methods available. However, it is important to research and evaluate the reliability and compatibility of such methods before proceeding.
Rooting your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro can unlock a range of benefits, including customization, performance optimization, advanced app management, and system-level access. However, it is crucial to understand the risks involved, such as warranty voiding, bricking, security vulnerabilities, and software instability.
In this article, we provided a step-by-step guide to root your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro using TWRP and Magisk. We emphasized the importance of making preparations, such as backing up data, charging the device, enabling USB debugging, and unlocking the bootloader. We also discussed the benefits and risks of rooting and provided FAQs to address common concerns.
Remember, rooting should be approached with caution, and it is always a good idea to seek assistance or guidance from experienced users or professionals. By following the instructions carefully and understanding the implications, you can safely root your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro and unleash its full potential.